Friday, April 30, 2010

NOT a typical day

So. Last night I installed Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx. This morning, I got up and said "hey wouldn't it be cool if Windows could access the files on Lucid!" I went and got some nice software that was supposed to help it work. It turned out the software only worked with ext2, ext3 with inode size 128, or ext4 with some similar option (I have ext4 Linux file system, so it didn't work). So I uninstalled the software and decided to live with it. The software demanded that I restart the computer, so I did. Here comes the BIOS display-- and then a blinking line and a blank screen. No keyboard input or anything. GRUB died! The only thing that worked was the live cd!
Here I am, about six reinstallations of Ubuntu (Lucid) later, and I think I might have both working. Here's hoping.
*Assuming* it does work, the next challenge is transferring files from another computer to my new hard drive. I'm trying to use a direct network connection between them and since one has auto-negotiation (or duplex, or whatever you want to call it), I don't need a crossover cable. In theory.
This was my entire day, interspersed with lunch, park day (with a few homeschoolers), and dinner (at a homeschool business meeting). Oh yeah and I was so distracted that put a notice up at the wrong place! The original plan was to have the meeting at Maroney park (5 minutes from here), but we got rained out. I was tasked with putting the notice of location change up at Maroney -- but I was so distracted that I went all the way to Pecan park (15 minutes from here).

And then God said "Do not be afraid, only believe."
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." ~1 Peter 3:15
"For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died and then rose again."~2 Corinthians 5:14,15

This has been your compulsory rant of the month from Petr, followed by a wake up call in no uncertain terms.

The region IV invitational speech and debate tournament is next week, starting Wednesday morning, and I am... not likely to do a whole lot better now than ever before. But that's okay. See above -- it's not so much that whole thing about winning that counts anymore.

Now if anybody understood all of the above, please mention it and I will gladly buy you ice cream :)

God bless!
-Petr

3 comments:

  1. Guess I'm not getting any ice cream. *grin* Congratulations on graduating soon! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the "newest" post. It is over a month and you have been and will be doing so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on....I know you have more pictures and things to talk about.

    ReplyDelete